Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Slime Mold

When human beings look at nature (or at anything for that matter) they see what they want to see. Evolutionists see chance, Creationists see order, and PETA sees masses of the oppressed. I being who I am look at nature and see myself peering right back at me. In my mind there is no organism that relates to me, and, by extrapolation, to the human condition, than slime molds. Now hang with me for a sec. 
A slime mold is a slimy type of mold. But not only is it slimy and moldy, it appears to be sentient. Slimemolds, unlike every other mold, is capable of motion. "A mold capable of motion," you say? "How astonishing. This is a mold that has unlimited freedom, a mold that can go anywhere, do anything, a mold, which when compared to its immobile bretheren is truly gifted." 
Now what do you think this mold does with its freedom- Does it go to parties- Does it have adventures- try to see the world- try to better itself- try to be the best it can be? No, not even close. A slime molds spends entire life, spends its great gift of freedom finding the path of least resistance to the nearest food source. 

Think about it.

No comments: